Facility Management, Pet Care Basics, Shelter and Rescue Resources
Pet Grooming Tips & Tricks
By The Revival Education Team
August 2, 2016
Grooming is a big task, especially if you have a dog or cat that doesn’t enjoy it. Here are some helpful tips and tricks to make grooming more enjoyable.
- Always brush and comb before bathing. This helps prevent tangles and allows the shampoo to get deep into the coat.
- Clean ears, clip nails and groom before bathing. Put a small amount of ear cleanser such as Vet Basics General Ear Cleanser in the ears after bathing to avoid swimmers ear!
- Use lukewarm water. Dogs and cats are more sensitive to temperatures that are too hot or too cold.
- Clip nails so they just touch the ground when the foot is placed flat. Take the time to know where the quick is. If the nail feels spongy when you start to clip, stop immediately. It’s always a good idea to have a styptic powder on hand to help stop any bleeding.
- On clipper blades: the higher the number of the blade, the shorter and finer the cut.
- If clipping multiple animals one after another, use ceramic blades. They stay cool and sharp with extended use. A good habit is to touch the clipper blade to the back of your wrist as you clip. If it is cool enough to touch your wrist, it is okay to keep using it. If it’s too hot, spray with Kool-Lube and recheck on your wrist.
- A grooming table is a great way to keep your dog or cat in place, plus it helps you avoid straining your back. They come with a rubber mat surface for footing.
- If you’re not using a grooming table, add a rubber mat to the surface to help with footing. This will encourage standing rather than lying down.
If you need help, call us at 800.786.4751.
How to Trim Dog Nails
From how to use dog nail clippers to tips for cutting dog nails, Revival's Director of Veterinary Services, demonstrates how to cut your dog's nails.
Vet Minute: How to Trim Kitten Nails
Cutting kitten nails can be a bit of a struggle. Dr. Greer offers some tips when it comes to trimming kitten claws.
Pet Grooming Clipper Blade Chart Size and Use | Dog Grooming Clipper Blades
To keep your pet clean and groomed, it's important to find the right clipper blades to use on your dog or cat. Find the right clipper blade for your pet today.
How to Clean a Dog’s or Cat’s Ears
What can I use to clean my dog's ears at home? Regularly cleaning your pet's ears is crucial for ear health and can help prevent ear disease, ear infection and ear mites. Here are 4 easy cat and dog ear cleaning steps.