Vaccines for dogs are designed to protect your dog or puppy from several types of preventable diseases. Annual vaccines can help protect your dog against rabies, parvovirus, Bordetella and more. Knowing what vaccines dogs need is important. Many combination vaccines help protect against several diseases in one dose. If you aren’t sure which combination vaccine is best for your dog, use Revival’s Vaccine Finder tool. This free resource provides recommended dog vaccines personalized for your pet.
What Vaccinations Does Your Dog Need?
Dog vaccines are not one-size-fits-all. Core vaccinations are recommended for most all dogs, regardless of breed, lifestyle, size or location. Non-core vaccinations are needed in certain cases depending on the dogs lifestyle, needs and risk level. The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) recommends creating a vaccine program for your dog that includes the core vaccines and any non-core vaccines depending on your dogs lifestyle. The frequency of vaccinations for your pet can vary so developing a vaccination schedule with your vet is important.
Core dog vaccines include:
- Rabies virus (required by law)
- Canine distemper virus
- Canine adenovirus
- Canine parvovirus
Non-core dog vaccines include:
- Leptospira species – Recommended for dogs living in a wet environment and have access to soil and water.
- Bordetella bronchiseptica or kennel cough - Recommended for dogs that are boarded, groomed or spend time at dog shows, dog parks or any other place where they have contact with other dogs.
- Coronavirus – Primarily recommended for breeding dogs.
- Borrelia burgdorferi or Lyme disease – Recommended for dogs living in the Midwest or North Eastern United States because the tick that carries the disease is prominent.
- Canine Influenza and Canine Parainfluenza Virus– Recommended for dogs that visit the groomer or are boarded.
Standard 5-way vaccines offer protection against the "Core" canine diseases of Canine Distemper, Adenovirus Type 1 (Hepatitis), Adenovirus Type 2 (Respiratory Disease), Parainfluenza, and Parvovirus. 6-way vaccines, 7-way and the 8-way shot for dogs add "Non-Core" disease protection against Lepto and/or Corona. The Revival Vaccine Finder will help you determine which non-core vaccines are recommended for your dog.
The Benefits of Vaccinating Your Dog
The majority of dogs respond well to vaccines. If you’re asking yourself should I vaccinate my dog, consider the following benefits of canine vaccination:
- Prevent many potentially fatal dog illnesses from ever impacting your dog.
- Save money by avoiding costly vet visits for treating a preventable disease.
- Prevent the spread of common canine diseases to other dogs, animals and even people.
- Meet state laws and requirements.
- Puppy vaccination is an important first step in giving puppies a healthy start at life.
Shield Your Dog From Preventable Disease With Revival Animal Health
Shop Revival’s large selection of canine vaccines. At Revival, we are the Pet Vaccine Experts. We are number one in vaccine selection and product knowledge. Our vaccine packaging and shipping is safe, tested and fast. 99.86% of vaccine orders arrive at their destination at the proper temperature. If you aren’t sure what the best dog vaccine is for your dog or kennel, call our Pet Care Pros at 800.786.4751 and they are happy to help.