Heartgard® Plus Chewables
- This product is available by prescription only.
- Due to federal and state laws, we cannot accept returns on prescription items.
- Heartgard® Plus for Dogs prevents Heartworm disease with a once-a-month chewable
- Treats and controls roundworms and hookworms
- Made with real beef to ensure total consumption
When replacing another Heartworm preventative product in a Heartworm disease preventative program, the first dose of Heartgard® Plus must be given within a month (30 days) of the last dose of the former medication.
All dogs should be tested for existing Heartworm infection prior to starting treatment with Heartgard® Plus which is not effective against adult D. immitis. Infected dogs must be treated to remove adult heartworms and microfilariae before initiating a program with Heartgard® Plus.
While some microfilariae may be killed by the Ivermectin in Heartgard® Plus at the recommended dose level, Heartgard® Plus is not effective for microfilariae clearance. A mild hypersensitivity-type reaction, presumably due to dead or dying microfilariae and particularly involving a transient diarrhea, has been observed in clinical trials with Ivermectin alone after treatment of some dogs that have circulating microfilariae.
Monthly treatment with Heartgard® Plus is also effective against canine ascarids (T. canis, T. leonine) and hookworms (A. caninum, U. stenocephala, A. braziliense).
Heartgard® Plus is for use in dogs six weeks of age and older. The monthly recommended minimum dose level is 6 mcg of Ivermectin per kg (2.72 mcg/lb) and 5 mg of Pyrantel (as pamoate salt) per kg (2.27 mg/lb) of body weight. Choose from three dosage strengths; dogs up to 25 lb, dogs from 26 to 50 lb, and dogs from 51 to 100 lb of body weight. For dogs over 100 lb, use the appropriate combination of these chewables. Each strength contains six chewables per package. Made in USA.
Protect from light. Store at controlled room temperature of 68°-77°F (20°-25°C). Excursions between 59°-86°F (15°-30°C) are permitted.
For the generic version of Heartgard Plus, check out Tri-Heart Plus.
AutoShip is now available! AutoShip is the most convenient way to get the items you need delivered on a regular schedule, so you never run out. You can also save 5% on every AutoShip Order.
Heartgard® Plus has shown a wide margin of safety for all breeds and sizes when used as directed. Approved for puppies as young as 6 weeks, pregnant or breeding female dogs and stud dogs.
Side effects may include depression/lethargy, vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea, mydriasis, ataxia, staggering, convulsions and hypersalivation.
Do not give to puppies less than 6 weeks of age.
Studies have shown that Collie breeds are more sensitive to the effects of elevated doses of Ivermectin much higher than needed for heartworm prevention. If your dog shows any signs of hypersensitivity such as weakness, clumsiness, dilated pupils or trembling, bring to your veterinarian immediately.
All dogs should be tested for heartworm infection before treatment. Infected dogs must be treated before starting a prevention program with Heartgard® Plus.
Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.
Keep out of the reach of children
Disposal of Unused Prescription Medications
- Return unwanted or unused medications to Revival Animal Health in person, or visit www.disposemymeds.org to find a pharmacy near you.
- A secondary method of drug disposal is to remove the unwanted medication from any wrappers or containers and place it in a plastic bag with moist coffee grounds or cat litter. This can be disposed of in the regular garbage collection.
- Please do NOT dispose of unwanted meds down the drain or toilet, as this may eventually find its way into the human water supply.
Learn more about disposal of unused prescription medications here.
Disposal of Medical Sharps
- When you're finished with the syringe and needle, do not try to recap, remove, bend or break the needle. This is where most injuries occur.
- Dispose the syringe and needle immediately in a nearby sharps container. All sharps must be deposited in a puncture-proof container. Make sure your storage location is child and animal proof.
- As with all product handling, make sure you wash your hands after handling medical sharps.
Disposal of Sharps Container
- When your sharps container is half-full, sift dry Portland Cement throughout the sharps. Fill the container with water, and rotate until the cement is mixed and the sharps have been distributed throughout the cement mixture. Let cement dry for 24 hours.
- Seal the lid of the container tightly and use duct tape to seal. Label the container "Livestock Sharps" to properly identify the contents.
- Dispose of the containers in accordance with your state's regulations.
Our pharmacy hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. − 4:30 p.m. CST.
Heartgard® Blue for dogs up to 25 lbs: 68 mcg Ivermectin, 57 mg Pyrantel
Heartgard® Green for dogs 26 - 50 lbs: 136 mcg Ivermectin,114 mg Pyrantel
Heartgard® Brown for dogs 51 - 100 lbs: 272 mcg Ivermectin, 227 mg Pyrantel
Each dosage strength contains six (6) chewable tablets per package.