Pet Grooming Tips & TricksLast updated: August 02, 2016
Grooming is a big task, especially if you have a dog or cat that doesn't enjoy it. Here are some helpful tips and tricks to make grooming more enjoyable.
- Always brush and comb before bathing. This helps prevent tangles and allows the shampoo to get deep into the coat.
- Clean ears, clip nails and groom before bathing. Put a small amount of ear cleanser in the ears after bathing to avoid swimmers ear!
- Use lukewarm water. Dogs and cats are more sensitive to temperatures that are too hot or too cold.
- Clip nails so they just touch the ground when the foot is placed flat. Take the time to know where the quick is. If the nail feels spongy when you start to clip, stop immediately. It's always a good idea to have a styptic powder on hand to help stop any bleeding.
- On clipper blades: the higher the number of the blade, the shorter and finer the cut.
- If clipping multiple animals one after another, use ceramic blades. They stay cool and sharp with extended use. A good habit is to touch the clipper blade to the back of your wrist as you clip. If it is cool enough to touch your wrist, it is okay to keep using it. If it's too hot, spray with Kool Lube and recheck on your wrist.
- A grooming table is a great way to keep your dog or cat in place, plus it helps you avoid straining your back. They come with a rubber mat surface for footing.
- If you're not using a grooming table, add a rubber mat to the surface to help with footing. This will encourage standing rather than lying down.
If you need help, call us at 800.786.4751.
-The Revival Education Team
The materials, information and answers provided through this website are not intended to replace the medical advice or services of your personal veterinarian or other pet health care professional. Consult your own veterinarian for answers to specific medical questions, including diagnosis, treatment, therapy or medical attention.