5 Dog Breeding Tips
Together, we want to manage the dog breeding, pregnancy, whelping, and puppy care to maximize your female dog’s breeding potential. Whether you have loads of experience or this is your first time breeding dogs, we have a few “proven processes” to share with you.
- Progesterone test starting early enough and repeating the testing often and long enough to see ovulation and beyond. This is important not only to pinpoint the ideal time to breed but to also allow for accurately timing whelping and scheduling a C-section if indicated.
- Prenatal care is as important for our dogs as for people. This includes ideal body condition, diet and supplements. Just like with humans, a prenatal supplement such as Breeder’s Edge® Oxy Mate is important to support a healthy pregnancy. Prenatal care also includes preventive care including vaccines, heartworm testing and preventive, flea and tick preventive, hygiene, and Brucella testing.
- Puppy count X-rays should be scheduled for all dogs who are not planning a timed C-section. This will help assess the need for C-section intervention and assure you have completed her whelping.
- Preparing you for an effective dog whelping with a complete kit with essential supplies and drugs along with instructions on safe and appropriate use is key to a successful whelping. These products include Breeder’s Edge® Oxy Momma, Breeder’s Edge® Foster Care formula, Miracle Nipples®, Breeder’s Edge® Whelping Repeat Pads, Kaolin Pectin and Doc Roy’s® GI Synbiotics.
- Planning a dog C-section in advance of a crisis can often make the difference between great puppy survival outcomes and heartbreak. If your best plans to free whelp fail, have a plan so you can turn a bad situation around.
Not sure where to start when it comes to shopping for whelping supplies? Easily shop for your dog whelping supplies using Revival’s Whelping Kit for Dogs!
Want more dog breeding advice on how to breed a dog successfully? Call a Revival Pet Care Pro at 800.786.4751.
Managing the Valuable Brood Dog
How do you breed a dog for the first time? What tests should be done before breeding dogs? Dr. Marty Greer, learn what to know before breeding dogs and how to improve reproductive capabilities of breeding female dogs.
Passport to Dog Breeding Success
What does it take to be a successful dog breeder? Dr. Marty Greer, Revival's Director of Veterinary Services, explains the steps for successful dog breeding, whelping, and delivering healthy puppies.
Dr. Greer’s Dog Breeding, Pregnancy and Whelping Plan
Plan your dog breeding, pregnancy and whelping with help from Dr. Greer's easy-to-follow dog breeding guide.
Deworming Pregnant Dogs: Dr. Greer’s Canine Deworming Protocol
Can you deworm a pregnant dog? What do breeders use to deworm puppies? Deworming pregnant dogs is essential to protect newborn pups. Learn which dewormers are safe for pregnancy, and the best dewormers for puppies and stud dogs.
Written by: Marty Greer, DVM
Director of Veterinary Services
Marty Greer, Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, has 40+ years’ experience in veterinary medicine, with special interests in canine reproduction and pediatrics. She received her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from Iowa State University in 1981. She’s served as Revival’s Director of Veterinary Services since 2019. In 2023, Dr. Greer was named the Westminster Kennel Club Veterinarian of the Year.