Fly Bites on Dog’s Ears
November 29, 2022
Flies are very aggravating to animals and humans alike. Flies often bite the edge of the dog's ear, and once a little blood is present, every fly in the area will be attracted to the ear. The painful bites can aggravate your animals to the point of weight loss.
Outside pets and livestock need assistance to manage these pests. Treatment involves cleaning the inside of the irritated ear, healing the raw ear and keeping the flies off.
- Use Doc Roy's Ear Cleanser to remove the debris inside the ear that was caused by shaking and scratching at their ears.
- Clean the ear margin with hydrogen peroxide or ChlorConazole wipes to get the crusting off. The ChlorConazole will kill or prevent bacterial and fungal (ringworm) infections from settling in the traumatized area.
- VIP Fly Ointment will keep the flies off the area until it is healed. Apply liberally to the affected ear margin and behind the ear if there are abrasions from scratching. This is all that is needed if it's caught early. Repeat daily for five days, then weekly as needed to prevent re-occurrence.
- Mega-Tek Pet Rebuilder can be used on pets with lots of hair loss or trauma. Mega-Tek is great for cracked skin or pads, ear margins and irritated spots or hot spots. Mega-Tek will also help the hair return quickly. After cleaning the areas with ChlorConazole, liberally apply Mega-Tek to cover the area. It will seal and soothe the raw area and encourage hair growth.
- Spray your pet with Mycodex All-in-One Flea and Tick Spray to repel flies. It is water-based (most sprays are alcohol-based), so it can be used on the head without irritating the ears or eyes. You will need to apply it daily until the ear is healed, then as needed to keep the flies off. Most topical repellents do have Pyrethrins in them, and this is a way to add repellent to a wider area of your dog's body.
Animal areas should have fly bait or traps to capture adult flies before they can lay eggs. Even removing some flies from the breeding population will decrease the next generation. QuickBayt can be mixed with water and painted on a fly bait station. The granules can also be used directly in an open container to attract and kill flies. Fly Traps work by trapping flies in a container where they die. The traps can then be discarded and replaced if needed. Both methods have been used effectively in kennels and livestock facilities, even under decks to keep flies away from humans. You can also spray the area with premise sprays, which provide quick knockdown of flies and other insects in the broad area around where animals live.
Dogs can inflict lots of damage on themselves just trying to keep flies off their ears. These traumatized ears can be very painful to your dog, but with the right treatment and fly repellent, you can soothe the pain and heal the trauma.
The materials, information and answers provided through this website are not intended to replace the medical advice or services of a qualified veterinarian or other pet health care professional. Consult your own veterinarian for answers to specific medical questions, including diagnosis, treatment, therapy or medical attention.
|Return to Articles|