Optimmune® Ophthalmic Ointment manages the inflammation associated with chronic keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS or dry eye), and chronic superficial keratitis (CSK) in dogs. Helps relieve discomfort and inflammation to reduce the chance of secondary infection. This ointment does not cure the disease, and must be given for the rest of the pet's life to keep symptoms under control. Sterile and preservative-free formulation.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION: For ophthalmic use in dogs only. The safety of OPTIMMUNE® has not been determined in cases of preexisting viral or fungal ocular infections, nor in puppies, pregnant bitches, or dogs used for breeding. In clinical trials, ocular and periocular inflammatory reactions, transient hyperemia, epiphora, mild discomfort of the eye and mild alopecia were reported in a small number of treated dogs. For full prescribing information, including directions for use, precautions and adverse reactions, see Package Insert.
Disposal of Unused Prescription Medications
- Return unwanted or unused medications to Revival Animal Health in person, or visit www.disposemymeds.org to find a pharmacy near you.
- A secondary method of drug disposal is to remove the unwanted medication from any wrappers or containers and place it in a plastic bag with moist coffee grounds or cat litter. This can be disposed of in the regular garbage collection.
- Please do NOT dispose of unwanted meds down the drain or toilet, as this may eventually find its way into the human water supply.
Learn more about disposal of unused prescription medications here
Disposal of Medical Sharps
- When you're finished with the syringe and needle, do not try to recap, remove, bend or break the needle. This is where most injuries occur.
- Dispose the syringe and needle immediately in a nearby sharps container. All sharps must be deposited in a puncture-proof container. Make sure your storage location is child and animal proof.
- As with all product handling, make sure you wash your hands after handling medical sharps.
Disposal of Sharps Container
- When your sharps container is half-full, sift dry Portland Cement throughout the sharps. Fill the container with water, and rotate until the cement is mixed and the sharps have been distributed throughout the cement mixture. Let cement dry for 24 hours.
- Seal the lid of the container tightly and use duct tape to seal. Label the container "Livestock Sharps" to properly identify the contents.
- Dispose of the containers in accordance with your state's regulations.
Our pharmacy hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. − 4:30 p.m. CST.
Optimmune® has proven to have a wide margin of safety in adult dogs.
There are few side effects reported with the use of Optimmune®. Adverse reactions were primarily ocular and periocular inflammatory reactions. However, these reactions were likely a function of therapy being unable to control the KCS, rather than a true "adverse reaction." On rare occasion, local irritation has been reported, though it's difficult to distinguish between hypersensitivity of the ingredients and further irritation from the infection.
For ophthalmic use in dogs only. Do not use in animals who are allergic to cyclosporine. Do not use in animals with viral or fungal infections of the eye. Treat the infection before using Optimmune®. Safety in puppies, pregnant and lactating dogs, or dogs used for breeding has not been determined.
Optimmune® must be used for the rest of the pet's life. Withdrawal of therapy usually results in rapid clinical regression of the infection.
Do not touch the medication with your hands. It will contaminate the ointment, and cyclosporine can cause weakening of the human immune system. Always wash your hands after applying the medication to your pet's eyes.
Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.
Keep out of the reach of children
Active ingredient: 0.2% Cyclosporine
Each gram of Optimmune® Ophthalmic Ointment contains 2 mg of cyclosporine, USP; petrolatum, USP; corn oil, NF; petrolatum and lanolin alcohol.
Store between 2° and 25°C (36° and 77°F). Shelf life up to 24 months with no refrigeration.