Removing Skunk Smell from Dogs and CatsIf your dog or cat has been "skunked," then you understand the relentless stench that just won't go away. Although it is commonly believed that tomato juice is the best solution for a skunk smell, tomato juice will only mask the unpleasant smell. The key to removing a skunk smell is to cause a chemical reaction that will neutralize the odor. This can easily be done with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.
- 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide
- ½ cup of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of liquid soap
Do not store the mixture because pressure will build up and the container will explode. Be aware that this formula may temporarily change your pet's hair color.
- If your pet brings the skunk smell into your home, try using Pureayre Odor Eliminator on carpets, fabrics, furniture, and in the air.
- If a skunk sprays your pet in the face, it may cause eye irritation and inflammation or redness of the mouth and throat. Flush your pet's eyes with Vetericyn Eye Wash and rinse his face with fresh water.
- If your pet becomes nauseous to the smell, he may start retching or vomiting.
If you need help, call us at 800.786.4751.
-The Revival Education Team
The materials, information and answers provided through this website are not intended to replace the medical advice or services of your personal veterinarian or other pet health care professional. Consult your own veterinarian for answers to specific medical questions, including diagnosis, treatment, therapy or medical attention.