Gentamicin Sulfate Ophthalmic Solution, is a sterile, antibiotic drop used to topically treat eye infections of dogs and cats. It works against a wide variety of bacteria including conjunctivitis, keratitis, keratoconjunctivitis, corneal ulcers, blepharitis, blepharoconjunctivitis, acute meibomianitis, and dacryocystitis, caused by susceptible strains of the following microorganisms: Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Streptococcus pyogenes, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Enterobacter aerogenes, Escherichia coli; Haemophilus influenzae, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Neisseriagonorrhoeae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Serratia marcescens.
Gentamicin Sulfate Ophthalmic Solution is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to any of the components.
Store at a controlled room temperature between 15°-30°C (59°-86°F). Protect from light and store away from heat.
Disposal of Unused Prescription Medications
- Return unwanted or unused medications to Revival Animal Health in person, or visit www.disposemymeds.org to find a pharmacy near you.
- A secondary method of drug disposal is to remove the unwanted medication from any wrappers or containers and place it in a plastic bag with moist coffee grounds or cat litter. This can be disposed of in the regular garbage collection.
- Please do NOT dispose of unwanted meds down the drain or toilet, as this may eventually find its way into the human water supply.
Learn more about disposal of unused prescription medications here
Disposal of Medical Sharps
- When you're finished with the syringe and needle, do not try to recap, remove, bend or break the needle. This is where most injuries occur.
- Dispose the syringe and needle immediately in a nearby sharps container. All sharps must be deposited in a puncture-proof container. Make sure your storage location is child and animal proof.
- As with all product handling, make sure you wash your hands after handling medical sharps.
Disposal of Sharps Container
- When your sharps container is half-full, sift dry Portland Cement throughout the sharps. Fill the container with water, and rotate until the cement is mixed and the sharps have been distributed throughout the cement mixture. Let cement dry for 24 hours.
- Seal the lid of the container tightly and use duct tape to seal. Label the container "Livestock Sharps" to properly identify the contents.
- Dispose of the containers in accordance with your state's regulations.
Our pharmacy hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. − 4:30 p.m. CST.
Bacterial and fungal corneal ulcers have developed during treatment with gentamicin ophthalmic preparations. The most frequently reported adverse reactions are ocular burning and irritation upon drug instillation, non-specific conjunctivitis, conjunctival epithelial defects, and conjunctival hyperemia. Other adverse reactions which have occurred rarely are allergic reactions, thrombocytopenic purpura, and hallucinations.
Not for injection into the eye.
Gentamicin Sulfate Ophthalmic Solution should never be injected subconjunctivally, nor should it be directly introduced into the anterior chamber of the eye.
Prolonged use of topical antibiotics may give rise to overgrowth of non-susceptible organisms including fungi. Bacterial resistance to gentamicin may also develop. If purulent discharge, inflammation or pain becomes aggravated, the patient should discontinue use of the medication and consult a physician. If irritation or hypersensitivity to any component of the drug develops, the patient should discontinue use of this preparation, and appropriate therapy should be instituted.
To avoid contamination, do not touch tip of container to the eye, eyelid, or any surface.
Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.
Keep out of the reach of children
Active ingredients: Gentamicin Sulfate (3 mg in 1 ml)
Inactive ingredients: Dibasic Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Chloride, Monobasic Sodium Phosphate, Purified Water. Hydrochloric Acid and/or Sodium Hydroxide may be added to adjust pH (6.5 - 7.5).
Preservative Added: Benzalkonium Chloride 0.01%.