Toxic Foods for Dogs and CatsLast updated: August 02, 2016
Pets are part of the family, and many people tend to feed their pet like family. However, table scraps and certain foods can be deadly to your pet. You should familiarize yourself with these ingredients and foods, and then take steps to keep these poisonous foods away from your pet.
ChocolateChocolate is toxic to both dogs and cats because it contains theobromine. Pets cannot properly digest this substance, so chocolate may cause liver failure, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and even death. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is for your pet.
CaffeineCaffeine is dangerous to the heart and nervous system in pets. It excites the nervous system, resulting in vomiting, diarrhea and nervous system damage. Coffee, tea, soft drinks, and anything else containing caffeine can be dangerous for your pet.
Onions and GarlicOnions and garlic can be dangerous for your pet if eaten in large amounts. These foods can cause the destruction of red blood cells, leading to anemia in dogs and cats. Even meats that are spiced with onion and garlic could be dangerous. Baby food that contains meat is often seasoned with onion or garlic, so be aware of this as well.
Grapes and RaisinsThere is an unknown toxin in grapes and raisins that cause kidney damage or even failure in dogs and cats. It's best to avoid feeding grapes and raisins to pets.
AlcoholAlcoholic beverages and food prepared with alcohol can be dangerous to both dogs and cats. It can lead to intoxication, coma, and even death.
XylitolThis is an artificial sweetener found in many sugar-free foods, including chewing gum, candy and baked goods. It can cause liver damage and a deadly drop in blood sugar in dogs. Although there is no confirmation that it is dangerous for cats, it is best to be safe and keep this ingredient away from your cat.
Additional FoodsOther foods that can poison your pet include macadamia nuts, raw meat, spoiled food, dairy products, sugary foods, tobacco, yeast dough, mushrooms, iron, fat trimmings, fruit pits and seeds, rhubarb and tomato leaves, raw eggs, avocados, potatoes, citrus fruits, and large amounts of salt or liver.
Common signs of poisoning include diarrhea, vomiting, fever, cramps, seizures, rashes, and lethargy. If you think that your pet may have ingested a toxic substance, you should immediately call your veterinarian or a poison control center.
If you need help, call us at 800.786.4751.
-The Revival Education Team
The materials, information and answers provided through this website are not intended to replace the medical advice or services of your personal veterinarian or other pet health care professional. Consult your own veterinarian for answers to specific medical questions, including diagnosis, treatment, therapy or medical attention.