5 Must-Haves for Pregnant Dogs and PuppiesWhen puppies are on the way, these five products are must-haves to keep moms and babies healthy.
- Oxy Momma Start pregnant dogs on Breeders' Edge Oxy Momma five to seven days before whelping and give it while nursing. This prenatal supplement stimulates and helps mom recover from birthing. I usually tell people to stop about a week before you wean. That way her milk will slow up and she will not have an issue drying up.
- Chlorhexidine Solution Use one ounce of Chlorhexidine to a gallon of water. Clean anywhere you like since this disinfectant is very safe for puppies at any age.
- Triodine 7 Use Triodine 7 on all puppy umbilical cords at birth. Works to disinfect and dry up umbilical cords.
- Nurture Mate Use Breeders' Edge Nurture Mate on any puppy that is struggling at birth (not nursing or very small). It is rich in colostrum and can be used up to two weeks if needed. Put a pea-sized amount on your finger and rub on the roof of the puppy's mouth. It will melt in their mouth and go down. Use once a day for two weeks on any puppy smaller than its littermates. Use it three to four times a day on any puppy that is sick or struggling.
Nurture Mate does help fight bacteria and viruses by supporting a strong immune system, but the big thing here is colostrum. Colostrum is what is necessary to turn on the gut to digest food. That doesn't happen in the uterus, colostrum says it's time to start!
- GI Synbiotics Start pregnant dogs on Doc Roy's GI Synbiotics gel two weeks before whelping and use up to two weeks after birth. For medium to large dogs, give two to three ml per day. You may also use the GI Synbiotic granules at one scoop per 35 pounds of weight. GI Synbiotics changes gut flora so mom only gives good bacteria to puppies. However, that change takes time, so start mom on GI Synbiotics two weeks prior to birth.
Once the puppies are born, start them on GI Synbiotics gel on day two. Put a pea-sized amount on your finger and rub it on the roof of their mouth. It will melt in their mouth and go down. No aspiration concern. Use three to four times a day.
The couple weeks before and after whelping are a lot of work, but so worth it when the end result is a litter of healthy puppies. If you ever have a question about pregnancy, whelping or any other pet health issue please don't hesitate to give us a call at 800.786.4751. We love to help!
The materials, information and answers provided through this website are not intended to replace the medical advice or services of your personal veterinarian or other pet health care professional. Consult your own veterinarian for answers to specific medical questions, including diagnosis, treatment, therapy or medical attention.