What Are the Symptoms of Worms in Cats?
Parasites and worms are likely to drag your cat down. Other common symptoms of worms in cats and kittens include:
Deworming Treatments for Cats
- Dull coat with shedding issues
- Unthrifty appearance
- Weight loss
- Grumpy attitude
- GI upset
There aren't as many dewormers labeled for cats as there are for dogs, however there are still several deworming treatments for cats available. Whether you are using a prescription cat dewormer or a non-prescription dewormer for cats, the best deworming program involves getting the cat dewormed before the parasites cause medical issues.
Cat deworming medicines and preventatives come in a variety of forms, including:
Cat Deworming FAQ
- Topical Cat Dewormer: Profender is a topical, spot-on dewormer that covers parasites, such as roundworms, hookworms and tapeworms. Advantage Multi for Cats is a prescription monthly topical that kills roundworms and hookworms. Prescription Revolution topical for cats treats hookworm and roundworm and helps prevent heartworm.
- Cat Dewormer Tablets: Prescription Metronidazole for cats effective against intestinal parasites such as Giardia. Interceptor for Cats is a once a month flavored tablet that helps control heartworm, roundworm, hookworm and whipworms. A non prescription cat deworming tablet such as Drontal for Cats removes tapeworms, hookworms and large roundworms. Meanwhile, Tapeworm Dewormer praziquantel tablets for cats remove tapeworms in just one dose.
- Deworming Injection for Cats: Praziquantel Injectable Solution is a tapeworm treatment for cats.
- Chewable Dewormer for Cats: Prescription Heartgard Feline chewables helps prevent heartworms while also helping to manage hookworms.
- Why Is it Important to Deworm Your Cat?
Cats will inevitably pick up parasites, mostly from hunting or eating bugs. These parasites, left untreated, can eventually lead to medical issues for your cat.
- How Often Should I Deworm my Cat?
Inside cats typically have minimum exposure, except for bugs. Outside cats will need dewormer more often. The best cat deworming schedule to follow will depend on your pet's lifestyle and environment but here is a good rule of thumb:
Inside cats only:
Once a year for life.
Twice a year for life.
Outside cats that hunt:
Three times a year for life.
Talk to your vet or follow the label instructions depending on the cat dewormer you choose for how often to deworm outdoor cats.
- What Is the Best Cat Dewormer?
The best cat dewormer for your cat, depends on your cat. Topical, tablets, chewable or injectable deworming options are all available. Deworming a cat can be an easy task if you match the product up with the type of cat and the ease of handling.
Find the Right Dewormer for Your Cat with Revival Animal Health
Shop Revival's large selection of cat dewormer and parasite medications. If you aren't sure how to deworm your cat or kitten or you need help to determine which dewormer is best for your cat, call our Pet Care Pros at 800.786.4751 and they are happy to help.