Dog Breeders Gain New Insights
Canine Reproduction and Whelping
brings together information that is invaluable for today's dog breeder. Whether you are a first-timer or an experienced breeder, you'll learn something important from this book. Author Myra Savant Harris combines her years of experience as a labor and delivery and neonatal care nurse with her passion for breeding dogs to give you practical, useful and unusual information. This book is down-to-earth, fun to read, and easy to understand.
Learn how facts about human reproduction, conception and birth can get confused with the very different biology and physiology of the dog. Based on her successful workshops, Myra teaches the reader how to have successful breedings and healthier pups. Canine Reproduction will give you new perspectives on the art of dog breeding.
You will learn:
- How to prepare your young stud dog for breeding.
- How to tell when the bitch is ready to be bred.
- How truly fragile sperm is and how to ensure their health and survival.
- When artificial insemination is preferred, how to collect sperm, and how to inseminate.
- About unseen causes for unsuccessful breedings—bacteria, viruses, yeast.
- About the role of progesterone in breeding and how to use it to succeed.
- About easy, normal whelpings contrasted with nightmare whelping experiences.
- C-sections made understandable and how to handle aftercare of the bitch.
- How to remove dewclaws with the least trauma to mom and pups.