Testing for Internal Parasites
When examining fecal samples remember...
- The sample must be fresh.
- If it cannot be examined within a few hours, refrigerate the sample.
- Do not freeze fecal sample.
- When checking for Giardia or tapeworm eggs, do not use saturated sodium chloride, sodium nitrate or magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) as a medium.
- A 33% zinc sulfate solution and a concentrated sugar solution will cause less distortion of Giardia cysts than saline salt solutions.
- Use 10x magnification for scanning slider, 40x magnification for smaller organisms such as Giardia.
The materials, information and answers provided through this website are not intended to replace the medical advice or services of a qualified veterinarian or other pet health care professional. Consult your own veterinarian for answers to specific medical questions, including diagnosis, treatment, therapy or medical attention.
Return to Articles