Home > All Pet Supplies >
Optimmune Ophthalmic Ointment
Item #: 80123-942
Availability: In Stock
Usually ships In 1-2 Business Days
Optimmune® Ophthalmic Ointment manages the inflammation associated with chronic keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS or dry eye), and chronic superficial keratitis (CSK) in dogs. Helps relieve discomfort and inflammation to reduce the chance of secondary infection. This ointment does not cure the disease, and must be given for the rest of the pet's life to keep symptoms under control.
Active ingredient: 0.2% Cyclosporine.
Optimmune® has proven to have a wide margin of safety in adult dogs.
There are few side effects reported with the use of Optimmune®. On rare occasion, local irritation has been reported, though it's difficult to distinguish between hypersensitivity of the ingredients and further irritation from the infection.
Do not use in animals who are allergic to cyclosporine. Do not use in animals with viral or fungal infections of the eye. Treat the infection before using Optimmune. Safety in pregnant and lactating dogs has not been determined.
Optimmune must be used for the rest of the pet's life. Withdrawal of therapy usually results in rapid clinical regression of the infection.
Do not touch the medication with your hands. It will contaminate the ointment, and cyclosporine can cause weakening of the human immune system. Always wash your hands after applying the medication to your pet's eyes.
Disposal of unused prescription medications:
- Revival Animal Health participates in the Take Away Environmental Return System which provides an environmentally safe destruction program.
- The preferred method of drug disposal is to return the unwanted product to a pharmacy that participates in the Take Away Environmental Return System. Seek a local pharmacy that participates in this program for safe disposal.
- A secondary method of drug disposal is to remove the unwanted medication from any wrappers or containers and place it in a plastic bag with moist coffee grounds or cat litter. This can be disposed of in the regular garbage collection.
- Please do NOT dispose of unwanted meds down the drain or toilet, as this may eventually find its way into the human water supply.
Disposal of medical sharps:
- When you're finished with the syringe and needle, do not try to recap, remove, bend or break the needle. This is where most injuries occur.
- Dispose the syringe and needle immediately in a nearby sharps container. All sharps must be deposited in a puncture-proof container. Make sure your storage location is child and animal proof.
- As with all product handling, make sure you wash your hands after handling medical sharps.
Disposal of sharps container:
- When your sharps container is half-full, sift dry Portland Cement throughout the sharps. Fill the container with water, and rotate until the cement is mixed and the sharps have been distributed throughout the cement mixture. Let cement dry for 24 hours.
- Seal the lid of the container tightly and use duct tape to seal. Label the container “Livestock Sharps” to properly identify the contents.
- Dispose of the containers in accordance with your state’s regulations.
Our pharmacy hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. − 4:30 p.m. CST.