PetAg Nursing Kits (25210-V)
There are two different types of nipples (among many, of course) that are suitable for kittens. Pet Ag doesn't make the one for newborms, which is small, soft like mom's teat, and designed for the kneading young kittens do to make the milk come down. The other nipple is of a harder material and is the third one from the left in the picture from Pet Ag. After 550 kittens in over 13 years, we've had several older kittens chew off the tips and poop out the remains several days later. No side affects and definitely no need for panic or surgery. Otherwise, the kittens have elongated the nipples over time, so throw away when the nipples get soft or more than 1/4 longer in size than when they were new. Kittens get teeth at three weeks of age, so buying packs of 50 nipples from Pet Ag through Revival has allowed us to NOT lose a single kitten from problems with bottles, nipples, or feeding. Due diligence is ALWAYS the key to any product used with tiny animals, along with a calm demeanor and gentle hands. And the rewards are wonderful!
Can be dangerous for kittens 4 weeks+ or when they start to chew
One of my four week-old orphaned kittens just chewed off and ate part of the nipple off of this bottle. About 3/16" wide and about 1/4" long. This is the first time this has ever happened. Am very worried for him. Will be the last time I use a bottle for these little ones. Am switching to a bowl and/or syringe feeding.
Our kitten ate the tip off the bottle and swallowed it too! Very dangerous, do not buy!!
The rubber nipples are too soft of a rubber and are easily chewed and swallowed by the baby animal. In my case five 3 week old kittens. The rubber is also not made to dissolve in stomach acid should a baby swallow a piece of the nipple. I had to replace the nipples 2 or 3 times during each feeding. We did have one kitten that swallowed a piece of the nipple and ended up with a blockage, so $600 later we had the nipple removed and the kitten has made a full recovery. I am a volunteer at a cat rescue and I've read a lot of blogs online and many other people have had the same issue and in most cases the kitten died or was euthanized because they didn't have $600 to have the surgery. This product is a very poor design and dangerous to use. I recommend a syringe for feeding and will never use the product again.
Do not use for chewing kittens
Our 4.5 week old kitten swallowed the end of the nipple and we nearly lost her. We thought the dog had bitten it off (long story), and we didn't know what was wrong when she started vomiting and diarrhea 1 week later. After a trip to the emergency vet and anti-emetics, she improved and nipple came out (approx 10 days after swallowed) in the poop which was when we figured out what happened. It had swelled to a very large size in her system. We are lucky she is alive. I would never use these again, or switch immediately to dropper or syringe once they start to try to chew.