Marquis® Paste is indicated for the treatment of equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM) caused by Sarcocystis neurona. Ponazuril, the active ingredient in Marquis, crosses the blood/brain barrier and reaches the central nervous system where it kills Sarcocystis neurona. This stops the parasite from causing any further damage to the central nervous system. Proven effective with a wide margin of safety. Easy to administer, plus the pre-calibrated oral dosing syringe ensures accurate delivery of each dose.
Disposal of unused prescription medications:
- Revival Animal Health participates in the Take Away Environmental Return System which provides an environmentally safe destruction program.
- The preferred method of drug disposal is to return the unwanted product to a pharmacy that participates in the Take Away Environmental Return System. Seek a local pharmacy that participates in this program for safe disposal.
- A secondary method of drug disposal is to remove the unwanted medication from any wrappers or containers and place it in a plastic bag with moist coffee grounds or cat litter. This can be disposed of in the regular garbage collection.
- Please do NOT dispose of unwanted meds down the drain or toilet, as this may eventually find its way into the human water supply.
Learn more about disposal of unused prescription medications here
Disposal of medical sharps:
- When you're finished with the syringe and needle, do not try to recap, remove, bend or break the needle. This is where most injuries occur.
- Dispose the syringe and needle immediately in a nearby sharps container. All sharps must be deposited in a puncture-proof container. Make sure your storage location is child and animal proof.
- As with all product handling, make sure you wash your hands after handling medical sharps.
Disposal of sharps container:
- When your sharps container is half-full, sift dry Portland Cement throughout the sharps. Fill the container with water, and rotate until the cement is mixed and the sharps have been distributed throughout the cement mixture. Let cement dry for 24 hours.
- Seal the lid of the container tightly and use duct tape to seal. Label the container "Livestock Sharps" to properly identify the contents.
- Dispose of the containers in accordance with your state"s regulations.
Our pharmacy hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. − 4:30 p.m. CST.
Marquis is safe to use in horses, causing few adverse effects.
Side effects may include skin rash, hives, blisters on nose and mouth, loose stools, mild colic or seizures.
For use in animals only. Not for use in horses intended for food. Not for human use.
Prior to treatment, EPM should be distinguished from other diseases that may cause ataxia in horses. Injuries or lameness may also complicate the evaluation of an animal with EPM. In most instances, ataxia due to EPM is asymmetrical and affects the hind limbs.
Clinicians should recognize that clearance of the parasite by Ponazuril may not completely resolve the clinical signs attributed to the natural progression of the disease. The prognosis for animals treated for EPM may be dependent upon the severity of disease and the duration of the infection prior to treatment.
The safe use of Marquis (Ponazuril) in horses used for breeding purposes, during pregnancy, or in lactating mares, has not been evaluated. The safety of Marquis (Ponazuril) with concomitant therapies in horses has not been evaluated.
Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.
Keep out of the reach of children
Active Ingredient: 15% w/w Ponazuril
Store at controlled room temperature between 59° to 86°F (15° to 30°C).