Bring Them Home Safe; Microchip Your Pet Today
Every year, pets are lost – and without identification 90 percent are never returned to their owners. Proper and permanent identification is the only way to ensure the return of a lost dog or cat to its rightful owner. While collars and ID tags are a good start, they can easily be removed or the pet can get away from its owner when it is not wearing a collar.
When your animal is microchipped and registered, they can be easily located and returned to you. The microchip ID number will be scanned and traced through the computer database. It is very important to make sure your animal is properly registered to ensure traceability.
WHAT ARE MICROCHIPS?
A microchip is about the size of a grain of rice. It only takes seconds to inject, safely and permanently, under your pets skin...without the need for anesthetic. Microchips can be injected in cats, dogs, horses, birds, exotic animals or fish. Once implanted, the microchip remains inactive until read with a scanner. A scanner sends a low frequency radio signal to the chip, providing the power needed for the microchip to send its unique code back to the scanner and positively identify the animal. The ID number is stored permanently inside the animal, under the skin, where it cannot be lost. Microchips provide a permanent, non-alterable way of identifying pets, without disturbing the animal's coat or appearance in any way and a microchip will last a lifetime.
HOW EACH SYSTEM WORKS
- Each chip is individually packaged with paperwork. Implant the chip into an animal, fill out the paperwork and send it in to properly register the animal to their new owner. HomeAgain offers an enrollment program that provides 24-hour pet protection.
– These microchips have a patented implantation process. These microchips also have an enrollment fee per chip or you can get chips with the prepaid forms.
- Avid offers two ways to transfer registration for a pet to a new owner: Pettrac™ registration and Prepaid registration. Information for the Pettrac™ method is included with each shipment of FriendChips. Each form must be filled out with the proper information for each animal. The new owner usually sends in the form with a check or money order to cover the registration fee to ensure their pet will be identified and returned to them, not to the breeder.
– Each chip contains a unique 15-digit identification code and a disposable one-way implanter for easy and painless implantation.
Sometimes new owners forget to send in the registration, so the animal is tracked back to the person who implanted the chip – usually the breeder or Pet Store. The seller has to go through their records to determine which animal received that chip number and who purchased the animal. This can be a frustrating, time-consuming chore. Prepaid registration cards can prevent this from happening.
Prepaid registration cards
set up the direct registration to the new owner at the time of sale. The breeder purchases the cards and when an animal is sold, the card is filled out with the pertinent information. The breeder collects the registration fee and sends in the card to transfer the registration to the new owner. This way, when a lost pet is scanned, the new owner will be contacted directly to claim their animal.
Whichever method is used for the registration, it is an important step to ensure the return of the animal to the proper owner. Time is critical to an animal waiting in a shelter and having direct registration ensures the timely return of your beloved pet. Make sure to annually update your most recent contact information on your pet’s registration information.
5 STEPS TO ANIMAL RECOVERY
- Insert a microchip.
- Register the animal.
- Animal is found by third party.
- Recovery Program is contacted to determine owner’s name and phone number.
- You are contacted immediately and plans are made for you to bring your pet home again.
Microchips are accepted by the AKC, Canadian Kennel Club, UKC, and the USDA. A microchip is a simple, safe and cost effective way to protect your pet’s well being. By providing them with this permanent identification you can help ensure their timely return to you if they ever become lost.
If you need help, call us at 1-800-786-4751.
-The Revival Education Team
The materials, information and answers provided through this website are not intended to replace the medical advice or services of a qualified veterinarian or other pet health care professional. Consult your own veterinarian for answers to specific medical questions, including diagnosis, treatment, therapy or medical