Home > All Pet Supplies >
Item #: 80161-V
Availability: Back Order
- Soloxine® Tablets provides thyroid replacement therapy in all conditions of thyroid hormone deficiency
- Contains levothyroxine sodium (L-thyroxine)
- Used to treat hypothyroidism in dogs
This product is available by prescription only.
How to Order Prescription Medications
Prescription Authorization Form (PDF)
*Due to federal and state law, we cannot accept returns on prescription items.
*Revival Animal Health is licensed to sell prescriptions in 38 states. Click here to see the state list.
Soloxine® provides thyroid replacement therapy in all conditions, where the pet's thyroid gland is not producing enough thyroid hormones. Hypothyroidism results from deficiency of the thyroid hormones levothyroxine and liothyronine. Each Soloxine® Tablet provides synthetic crystalline levothyroxine sodium (L-thyroxine) which is absorbed rapidly from the gastrointestinal tract after oral administration providing complete physiologic thyroid replacement.
Hypothyroidism is common in middle-aged and older dogs although the condition will sometimes be seen in younger dogs of the larger breeds. Neutered animals of either sex are also frequently affected, regardless of age. Clinical signs of hypothyroidism in dogs include, but not limited to, lethargy, preference for warmth, increased body weight, stiff and slow movements, atrophying of epidermis and thickening of dermis, shortening or absence of estrus or lack of libido.
Levothyroxine sodium therapy is contraindicated in thyrotoxicosis, acute myocardial infarction and uncorrected adrenal insufficiency. Use in pregnant bitches has not been evaluated.
Store at controlled room temperature 15°-30°C (59°-86°F).
Active ingredient: Levothyroxine Sodium
Safe at recommended dosage.
No known side effects at recommended dosage level.
Overdosage may cause thyrotoxicosis, which is identified by polydipsia, polyuria, polyphagia, reduced heat tolerance, hyperactivity or personality change.
Administer with caution to animals with clinically significant heart disease, hypertension or other complications where a sharply increased metabolic rate might prove hazardous.
Do not use in dogs with hyperthyroidism or thyrotoxicosis.
Do not use in dogs who are hypersensitive to any of the ingredients.
It generally takes several weeks to see the effects of levothyroxine sodium therapy. Thyroid replacement therapy is usually necessary for the remainder of the pet's life.
Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.
Keep out of the reach of children
Disposal of unused prescription medications:
- Revival Animal Health participates in the Take Away Environmental Return System which provides an environmentally safe destruction program.
- The preferred method of drug disposal is to return the unwanted product to a pharmacy that participates in the Take Away Environmental Return System. Seek a local pharmacy that participates in this program for safe disposal.
- A secondary method of drug disposal is to remove the unwanted medication from any wrappers or containers and place it in a plastic bag with moist coffee grounds or cat litter. This can be disposed of in the regular garbage collection.
- Please do NOT dispose of unwanted meds down the drain or toilet, as this may eventually find its way into the human water supply.
Learn more about disposal of unused prescription medications here
Disposal of medical sharps:
- When you're finished with the syringe and needle, do not try to recap, remove, bend or break the needle. This is where most injuries occur.
- Dispose the syringe and needle immediately in a nearby sharps container. All sharps must be deposited in a puncture-proof container. Make sure your storage location is child and animal proof.
- As with all product handling, make sure you wash your hands after handling medical sharps.
Disposal of sharps container:
- When your sharps container is half-full, sift dry Portland Cement throughout the sharps. Fill the container with water, and rotate until the cement is mixed and the sharps have been distributed throughout the cement mixture. Let cement dry for 24 hours.
- Seal the lid of the container tightly and use duct tape to seal. Label the container "Livestock Sharps" to properly identify the contents.
- Dispose of the containers in accordance with your state's regulations.
Our pharmacy hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. − 4:30 p.m. CST.