Home > All Pet Supplies >
Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim (Generic)
Item #: 80129-174
Availability: In Stock
Usually ships In 1-2 Business Days
Generic SMZ-TMP treats a variety of bacterial and protozoal infections in dogs and cats, including urinary tract, respiratory, gastrointestinal and skin infections. The active ingredients of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim work together for better effectiveness against infection.
Active ingredients: Sulfmethoxazole and Trimethoprim.
Talk to your veterinarian about your pet's medical history and current medications, which may affect the safety and effectiveness of SMZ-TMP. It is important to administer exactly as prescribed at the appropriate intervals.
Side effects may include dry eye (keratoconjunctivitis sicca), upset stomach (vomiting and diarrhea), arthritis-like conditions, anemia, and rarely skin conditions. Stop use and consult your veterinarian if any of these side effects occur in your pet.
Do not use in animals with allergies to sulfa drugs. Humans with sulfa allergies should also avoid contact with this drug.
Do not use in pregnant animals, as it can inhibit brain development in growing fetuses.
Use with caution in animals with a history of anemia, severe liver or kidney disease or kidney stones.
Always make sure your pet has plenty of fresh, clean drinking water while on sulfa drugs to prevent the side effects that are worsened by dehydration.
Disposal of unused prescription medications:
- Revival Animal Health participates in the Take Away Environmental Return System which provides an environmentally safe destruction program.
- The preferred method of drug disposal is to return the unwanted product to a pharmacy that participates in the Take Away Environmental Return System. Seek a local pharmacy that participates in this program for safe disposal.
- A secondary method of drug disposal is to remove the unwanted medication from any wrappers or containers and place it in a plastic bag with moist coffee grounds or cat litter. This can be disposed of in the regular garbage collection.
- Please do NOT dispose of unwanted meds down the drain or toilet, as this may eventually find its way into the human water supply.
Disposal of medical sharps:
- When you're finished with the syringe and needle, do not try to recap, remove, bend or break the needle. This is where most injuries occur.
- Dispose the syringe and needle immediately in a nearby sharps container. All sharps must be deposited in a puncture-proof container. Make sure your storage location is child and animal proof.
- As with all product handling, make sure you wash your hands after handling medical sharps.
Disposal of sharps container:
- When your sharps container is half-full, sift dry Portland Cement throughout the sharps. Fill the container with water, and rotate until the cement is mixed and the sharps have been distributed throughout the cement mixture. Let cement dry for 24 hours.
- Seal the lid of the container tightly and use duct tape to seal. Label the container "Livestock Sharps" to properly identify the contents.
- Dispose of the containers in accordance with your state's regulations.
Our pharmacy hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. − 4:30 p.m. CST.