Mitaban® is a topical dip that treats generalized demodicosis (mange) caused by the mite Demodex canis. This liquid concentrate is not supported for the treatment of localized demodicosis or scabies.
Active ingredient: Amitraz.
Safe when administered according to directions and by taking the proper precautions against ingestion and eye & skin exposure.
Dogs may experience temporary sleepiness, which will dissipate after 24-72 hours. Mild itching may also occur as a reaction to the dead mites. Other side effects are rare.
Not for animals that are hypersensitive to amitraz. Do not use on animals with deep bacterial infections of the skin or draining tracts. Do not expose to eyes or skin; avoid ingestion.
Safety not established in pregnant dogs or dogs less than 4 months old. Avoid stressful activities within 24 hours of treatment period, as Mitaban may affect their ability to maintain homeostasis and deal with stress. Avoid handing pets immediately after treatment, as this may cause skin irritation.
Disposal of unused prescription medications:
- Revival Animal Health participates in the Take Away Environmental Return System which provides an environmentally safe destruction program.
- The preferred method of drug disposal is to return the unwanted product to a pharmacy that participates in the Take Away Environmental Return System. Seek a local pharmacy that participates in this program for safe disposal.
- A secondary method of drug disposal is to remove the unwanted medication from any wrappers or containers and place it in a plastic bag with moist coffee grounds or cat litter. This can be disposed of in the regular garbage collection.
- Please do NOT dispose of unwanted meds down the drain or toilet, as this may eventually find its way into the human water supply.
Disposal of medical sharps:
- When you're finished with the syringe and needle, do not try to recap, remove, bend or break the needle. This is where most injuries occur.
- Dispose the syringe and needle immediately in a nearby sharps container. All sharps must be deposited in a puncture-proof container. Make sure your storage location is child and animal proof.
- As with all product handling, make sure you wash your hands after handling medical sharps.
Disposal of sharps container:
- When your sharps container is half-full, sift dry Portland Cement throughout the sharps. Fill the container with water, and rotate until the cement is mixed and the sharps have been distributed throughout the cement mixture. Let cement dry for 24 hours.
- Seal the lid of the container tightly and use duct tape to seal. Label the container “Livestock Sharps” to properly identify the contents.
- Dispose of the containers in accordance with your state’s regulations.
Our pharmacy hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. − 4:30 p.m. CST.