Home > All Pet Supplies >
Item #: 80122-174-431
Availability: In Stock
Usually ships In 1-2 Business Days
Label may be different than shown.
- Metronidazole Tablets (Generic) is effective against certain bacterial infections and intestinal parasites
- Used for inflammatory bowel disease, diarrheal disorders and parasites such as Giardia
- Easy-to-use tablets for dogs, cats and other animals
This product is available by prescription only.
How to Order Prescription Medications
Prescription Authorization Form (PDF)
*Due to federal and state law, we cannot accept returns on prescription items.
*Revival Animal Health is licensed to sell prescriptions in 37 states. Click here to see the state list.
Generic Metronidazole is an antibiotic that is effective against intestinal parasites and bacterial infections in animals. It is often prescribed for the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease, diarrheal disorders and parasites such as Giardia.
Generic Metronidazole also has been used successfully to alter the intestinal flora in dogs with hepatic encephalopathy and exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. It has been used for the treatment of osteomyelitis and periodontal diseases as well.
Active ingredients: Metronidazole 250 mg or 500 mg
Safety and effectiveness is dependent on prescribed administration and the commitment to give as recommended.
Adverse effects are not commonly associated with metronidazole. High doses may induce signs of neurotoxicity in dogs, such as tremors, muscle spasms, ataxia and even convulsions.
Side effects may include nausea, diarrhea, weakness, loss of appetite, dry mouth, cough or disorientation. May also cause liver damage, blood in urine, nerve damage and seizures.
Contact veterinarian immediately if any signs of allergic reactions occur.
Do not use in animals allergic to metronidazole or drugs similar to it.
Do not give to pregnant or nursing animals.
Do not use in animals that may be used for human food.
Use extreme caution when using in animals with liver disease or animals who are debilitated. Inform your veterinarian if your pet is using any other supplements, oral anticoagulants, cimetidine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, sedatives or tranquilizers.
Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.
Disposal of unused prescription medications:
- Revival Animal Health participates in the Take Away Environmental Return System which provides an environmentally safe destruction program.
- The preferred method of drug disposal is to return the unwanted product to a pharmacy that participates in the Take Away Environmental Return System. Seek a local pharmacy that participates in this program for safe disposal.
- A secondary method of drug disposal is to remove the unwanted medication from any wrappers or containers and place it in a plastic bag with moist coffee grounds or cat litter. This can be disposed of in the regular garbage collection.
- Please do NOT dispose of unwanted meds down the drain or toilet, as this may eventually find its way into the human water supply.
Learn more about disposal of unused prescription medications here
Disposal of medical sharps:
- When you're finished with the syringe and needle, do not try to recap, remove, bend or break the needle. This is where most injuries occur.
- Dispose the syringe and needle immediately in a nearby sharps container. All sharps must be deposited in a puncture-proof container. Make sure your storage location is child and animal proof.
- As with all product handling, make sure you wash your hands after handling medical sharps.
Disposal of sharps container:
- When your sharps container is half-full, sift dry Portland Cement throughout the sharps. Fill the container with water, and rotate until the cement is mixed and the sharps have been distributed throughout the cement mixture. Let cement dry for 24 hours.
- Seal the lid of the container tightly and use duct tape to seal. Label the container "Livestock Sharps" to properly identify the contents.
- Dispose of the containers in accordance with your state's regulations.
Our pharmacy hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. − 4:30 p.m. CST.