Home > All Pet Supplies >
Cephalexin Capsules (Generic)
Item #: 80110-795-431
Availability: In Stock
Usually ships In 1-2 Business Days
Label may be different than shown.
- Cephalexin Capsules (Generic) is a broad-spectrum antibiotic
- Treats a variety of skin, urinary tract, bone and respiratory infections in dogs and cats
Now available in single doses! Easily order capsules in the specific quantity prescribed by your veterinarian.
This product is available by prescription only.
How to Order Prescription Medications
Prescription Authorization Form (PDF)
*Due to federal and state law, we cannot accept returns on prescription items.
*Revival Animal Health is licensed to sell prescriptions in 37 states. Click here to see the state list.
Generic Cephalexin is a semisynthetic cephalosporin antibiotic used to treat a wide variety of gram-positive and gram-negative pathogens. It is acid stable and may be given without regard to meals and it is rapidly absorbed after oral administration. It is used to treat infections of the skin, urinary tract, respiratory tract and infections in bones and joints caused by susceptible bacteria.
Generic Cephalexin Capsules are approved for treatment of susceptible organisms causing the following infections:
- Otitis media due to Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pyogenes, and Moraxella catarrhalis.
- Skin and skin structure infections caused by Staphylococcus aureus and/or Streptococcus pyogenes
- Bone infections caused by Staphylococcus aureus and/or Proteus mirabilis
- Genitourinary tract infections, including acute prostatitis, caused by E.coli, Proteus mirabilis, and Klebsiella pneumonia
Note: Methicillin-resistant staphylococci and most strains of enterococci (Enterococcus faecalis
[formerly Streptococcus faecalis
]) are resistant to cephalosporins, including cephalexin. It is not active against most strains of Enterobacter spp., Morganella morganii,
and Proteus vulgaris
. It has no activity against Pseudomonas spp.
or Acinetobacter calcoaceticus
. Penicillin-resistant Streptococcus pneumonia
is usually cross-resistant to beta-lactam antibiotics.
Active ingredients: Cephalexin 250mg or 500mg.
Safe to use in dogs and cats with few side effects.
Some animals may experience upset stomach, diarrhea and vomiting. Dogs may also experience excessive salivation, panting or excitability. Cats may also experience a fever greater than 103º F.
Do not give to animals who are allergic to penicillin or penicillin-like drugs.
Safety for use in pregnant female dogs and cats or in breeding males has not been determined. Also use with caution in animals with kidney disease. Always give the full dosage as prescribed by your veterinarian.
Not for use in animals that are raised for food production.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.
Disposal of unused prescription medications:
- Revival Animal Health participates in the Take Away Environmental Return System which provides an environmentally safe destruction program.
- The preferred method of drug disposal is to return the unwanted product to a pharmacy that participates in the Take Away Environmental Return System. Seek a local pharmacy that participates in this program for safe disposal.
- A secondary method of drug disposal is to remove the unwanted medication from any wrappers or containers and place it in a plastic bag with moist coffee grounds or cat litter. This can be disposed of in the regular garbage collection.
- Please do NOT dispose of unwanted meds down the drain or toilet, as this may eventually find its way into the human water supply.
Learn more about disposal of unused prescription medications here
Disposal of medical sharps:
- When you're finished with the syringe and needle, do not try to recap, remove, bend or break the needle. This is where most injuries occur.
- Dispose the syringe and needle immediately in a nearby sharps container. All sharps must be deposited in a puncture-proof container. Make sure your storage location is child and animal proof.
- As with all product handling, make sure you wash your hands after handling medical sharps.
Disposal of sharps container:
- When your sharps container is half-full, sift dry Portland Cement throughout the sharps. Fill the container with water, and rotate until the cement is mixed and the sharps have been distributed throughout the cement mixture. Let cement dry for 24 hours.
- Seal the lid of the container tightly and use duct tape to seal. Label the container "Livestock Sharps" to properly identify the contents.
- Dispose of the containers in accordance with your state's regulations.
Our pharmacy hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. − 4:30 p.m. CST.