The Assure® FeLV Leukemia Virus Antigen Test Kit uses highly specific antibodies to detect the FeLV antigen for quick and accurate results. This easy-to-use kit allows you to test with saliva samples, which is a great option for kittens or cats that are difficult to sample. Can also use anticoagulated whole blood, serum, and plasma samples. Results can be determined in as little as 10 minutes for blood samples. Saliva samples can take between 15-20 minutes. Not affected by a FeLV vaccination. Requires distilled/deionized water or normal saline.
Store the kit at 2° to 7°C (38° to 45°F). Do not freeze.
Do not use components after expiration date or mix from different kit serials.
Allow the kit to come to room temperature before use (approximately 1 hour).
Do not expose the kit to direct sunlight.
Dispose of potentially infected specimens appropriately.
Saliva or blood sample size of 0.10 ml should be used. An appropriate sample can be any one of the following:
Whole Blood/Serum/Plasma Procedure
- Anticoagulated whole blood (blood that has been collected in an EDTA [purple top] or heparin [green top] tube)
1. Pipette 3 drops of sample to tube A.
2. Tap to mix.
3. Proceed to step 1 of instructions.
1. Add 3 drops from bottle D (blue cap) to tube A.
2. Tap to mix.
3. Set in workstation.
4. Obtain labeled wand.
5. Place bulbous end of wand between cheek and gum in the back of the mouth.
6. Gently rotate for 5 to 10 seconds.
7. Proceed to step 1 of instructions.
Instructions for Use
1. Place bulbous end of labeled wand in tube A.
2. Twirl 1 to 3 seconds to mix.
3. Wait 5 minutes for blood samples or 10 minutes for saliva samples (or up to 20 minutes for either).
4. During waiting period:
- Remove stopper from tube B.
- Add 3 drops from bottle C (white cap) to tube B.
- Tap to mix.
- Set aside for use in Step 7.
5. Remove wand from tube A.
6. Wash bulbous end and tip of wand using either method I (squirt bottle method) or II (cup method) as detailed in the ASSURE®/FeLV direction insert. Normal saline must be used with whole blood samples. Deionized/distilled water or normal saline can be used with serum, plasma, or saliva samples.
7. Place washed wand in tube B.
8. Twirl 1 to 3 seconds to mix.
9. Wait 5 minutes. (Weak positives may be verified by waiting up to 10 minutes.)
10. Remove wand, and read results.
Washing is the most important step. Wands cannot be overwashed.